March 29, 2009 Sermon Notes
Subject: Does God’s Grace Cover all Sin? Romans 3:21-26
If there is one word that distinguishes Christianity from all the other major religions of the world it is the word GRACE.
1.) How do we describe the Grace of God?
• Romans 2:21-26- But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.
• According to Romans it is faith in Jesus Chris
• God gave us a sacrifice in His blood
• If you believe Christ died for our sins, then you are saved
• God had to punish sin
• Romans 6:1 – What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase?
o Is the idea to keep on sinning because we are saved?
o Is a gift, charity
o Something you cannot buy or earn
o John 19:30 – When he had received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.
Means it is finished
Greek word meaning “paid in full”
• Grace of God is a gift of God in the death of Christ
o As payment of sins
• According to Paul it is impossible for humans to gain righteousness before God by ourselves
2.) How does the Grace of God cover our sin?
• Romans 6:23 – For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
o Christ’s death paid our sin in full
• John 5:24 – “I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.”
o Whoever believes in Christ is saved
• The sacrifice was made for every sin that you have ever committed or will commit in the future
• Eternity: while you live, life of God lives in you
• Romans 3:20 – Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.
• Through the law we become conscious in sin
• God forgave us all our sins
• The written code (10 Commandments) were cancelled when they were nailed to the cross
• Jesus took our sins and the written code, nailed them to the cross and took them away
• He cancelled all the written codes
• No matter how horrible a person is, if they receive Christ before they die, Christ is their merit
• This is God’s plan
• Jesus died for our sin
• Depends on Christ’s death not our behavior
• No matter how many or what sins you forget to confess or repent of, Faith in Christ’s death and what He did is how to live
• Justify – not guilty, someone paid the price for you and me
• Romans 5:1 – Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ
• We are justified through faith
• We have peace with God through Christ
• No one lives a perfect life
• Someone who is critical is insecure, they attack themselves through you
• No one is perfect
• We enjoy benefits of God’s kingdom not because of what we did, but because of what Christ did
• Atonement for sin: payment for guilt is what we do as justification through Christ
• Hebrew 10:19-22 – Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water
• Walk to God and talk to Him
• Confess, but don’t feel embarrassed
• Go with a sincere heart full of faith
• The real guilt: when there’s pain in the body – confess what’s wrong
• Guilt is neurotic (destructive)
• Its something that needs to be paid for but you don’t have the resources
3.) Does the Grace of God cover all sin?
• The answer plainly is: NO
• Anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven
• Blasphemy: rejecting Word of God
• John 16:7-11 – But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me; in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned
o Voice of God affirms His death for sin
o Some people can and do reject God’s payment
The only sin that God’s grace does not cover is the sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit – rejecting God’s messenger who convinces us of God’s love and forgiveness found in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
God’s Mercy is available to all who will receive it
God cant give us something we don’t accept
Hebrews 10:17-18 – Then he adds: “Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more.” And where these have been forgiven, there is no longer any sacrifice for sin.
• We are forgiven for our sins
• Nothing else we can do
• We don’t need to do anything else for forgiveness
John 1:12 – Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God
Romans 10:13 – for, Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved